7 Machine
Home / BMW

People who assume you think you're the man (or woman) because of your car

BTM2010-08-18 05:51:07 +0000 #1
After 4 months of ownership, a couple instances stick out.

1.) In line at a sporting goods store, there were 2 registers both facing each other, and one line feeding both, the first register to open would be assumed by the next person waiting. Once, I was the next person up, and a guy completely supersedes the line and goes to the open register having not waited. So I told him the procedure, the woman in line behind me agreeing, he as a somewhat snarky remark and goes to the end of the line.

Fast forward, I'm sitting in my car with my sunroof open, returning a phone call. He walks past and says "oh I get it - couldn't wait to get back to your precious car, right?" Oh and he's with his kids - setting a good example for them and everything.

2.) This morning, commuting to work. The road is 2 lanes going north and about 1/4 mile after a light reduces to 1 northbound lane. Speed limit is 45, traffic usually moves about 50-55, and I'm doing about 55. Ok, I'm speeding, I admit it. A guy turns right at the light (I have the green) and turns on his signal to merge early, anticipating this I start to slow down but before I scrub off much speed he sees me and turns off his signal, so I pass him on the left going probably about 10 more than he is, then all traffic slows thanks to the merge. So from that point on he's riding my ass alternatively giving me the finger or sarcastically the thumbs up, strange because he's the one who let me past.

He turns into the same commercial park as I do, speed limit is, 30 traffic moves at 40 (cops don't even look twice at you for this), which is what I'm doing, and he's still on my ass. I turn right and he follows, and I slow for a speed bump, at which point he blows past me on left into oncoming traffic (luckily there was non) not even touching his brake, scraping his front on the rebound. He then proceeds to go 30. I am keeping a normal distance at this speed 1.5-2 lengths and he gives me the finger again before he turns into his parking lot. Seems excessive for someone who let you pass them, no?

While I guess it could've just been road rage, I've been making this commute since last August in a Hyundai and the situation is not uncommon (people turn right at this light, try to merge but left lane traffic is moving much faster than them). I've never had anyone fuck with me when I was driving that.

I guess long story short is that I will never understand some people's mentalities when it comes to what people drive. Share your experiences if you have any, or deride me for making a stupid thread. Here's to hoping we can maybe have some fun with this on a slow day (so far) in the office.


fruition30002010-08-18 06:04:37 +0000 #2
That doesn't happen to me. BUT people go APE FU**ING NUTS when I speed down their block. OMG they chase after me, try and run in the street or just stare at me with their arms in the air.
sickem2010-08-18 05:57:58 +0000 #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by fruition3000

That doesn't happen to me. BUT people go APE FU**ING NUTS when I speed down their block. OMG they chase after me, try and run in the street or just stare at me with their arms in the air.

a residential area? well I can say that I have NO tolerance for people speeding through my neighborhood. I don't blame them. Time and a place...
328skidpad2010-08-18 06:10:57 +0000 #4
I remember having a 328 loaner and would redline it to reach 40 mph quickly and everyone would look at me, tell me slow down, put their arms up in the ari as if I was crazy on 35-45 mph roads.

My 335 has the golf tee mod and people always turn their heads when I accelerate to 30mph on neighborhood streets

Many clueless people think you are speeding just because you rev the engine.

Uneducated fools...
BTM2010-08-18 07:03:41 +0000 #5
Yea it seems many people automatically associate speeding with loud exhaust. I have stock exhaust, but I see people posting stuff like that all the time
lambtron2010-08-18 06:38:31 +0000 #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sickem

a residential area? well I can say that I have NO tolerance for people speeding through my neighborhood. I don't blame them. Time and a place...

I remember as a young kid I used to hate when people sped down my street at unnecessary speeds, so we would purposely leave large objects in the road that you had to slow down to avoid or fuck your car up if you decided to keep driving like an asshole. Its never a good idea to piss off a bunch of 10 year olds who are just trying to play some damn street hockey.
roundel3352010-08-18 08:08:59 +0000 #7
I used to get that from people when I'd pass by in the neighborhood going the speed limit in an older 911 (air-cooled) in a lower gear. They just assumed I was going faster due to the engine noise and because it was a Porsche. Idiots!
Bighorns2010-08-18 07:00:01 +0000 #8
I like to drive just a tad faster than most, and I've noticed ever since we got the Bimmer (over a year ago) that people react much differently than they did when I commuted the Civic, namely, they don't like to be passed by a BMW. This means that instead of a nice, civilized, slow pass, I generally have to pass them harder.

Now you might ask, "Why not just back down if they speed up?" It's because these same people will slow back down once they 'have control'.
DrDurt2010-08-18 08:04:22 +0000 #9
I had to get off at the next exit and had my blinker on for sometime, i saw an opportunity and took as a woman in a g35 sedan sped up the right lane to close the gap(prob would have to slam on her brakes which drives me nuts)....anyway, i made it without really cutting this woman off. She blows around me in the left and gives me the finger, which pissed me off because she didn't even get off at the exit she was speeding towards
BTM2010-08-18 06:38:09 +0000 #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighorns

I like to drive just a tad faster than most, and I've noticed ever since we got the Bimmer (over a year ago) that people react much differently than they did when I commuted the Civic, namely, they don't like to be passed by a BMW. This means that instead of a nice, civilized, slow pass, I generally have to pass them harder.

Now you might ask, "Why not just back down if they speed up?" It's because these same people will slow back down once they 'have control'.

I notice this too, though it's not as blatant as the two examples I originally cited. I put a lot of miles on a spare truck for work (99 F150) and no one gives a shit if I pass them doing 75-80; some even move out of my way. Not the case in my car though...
Seminole2010-08-18 07:42:54 +0000 #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 328skidpad

I remember having a 328 loaner and would redline it to reach 40 mph quickly and everyone would look at me, tell me slow down, put their arms up in the ari as if I was crazy on 35-45 mph roads.

Many clueless people think you are speeding just because you rev the engine.

Uneducated fools...

Actually, what you are doing can get you a ticket. It goes by various names in different states (Unsafe Start, Exhibition of Acceleration, Rapid Acceleration, etc.)

It doesn't matter that you don't exceed the speed limit, redlining a car to get to the limit as fast as possible isn't allowed. If you think you are so much more educated than everyone else, try it next time you are at a stop light next to a cop and watch what happens.
BTM2010-08-18 07:09:10 +0000 #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seminole

Actually, what you are doing can get you a ticket. It goes by various names in different states (Unsafe Start, Exhibition of Acceleration, Rapid Acceleration, etc.)

It doesn't matter that you don't exceed the speed limit, redlining a car to get to the limit as fast as possible isn't allowed. If you think you are so much more educated than everyone else, try it next time you are at a stop light next to a cop and watch what happens.

That's just dumb. So you have a 328 which goes 0-60 in say 6.2 seconds (I don't know the actual numbers off the top of my head) by flooring it, and a 335 which can go 0-60 in 6.2 seconds without full throttle. And a Porsche Turbo that can go 0-60 in 6.2 at even less throttle. All are accelerating at the same rate and one's illegal because it's using the full power band? Not sure how much the ticket is for this and if it would be worth fighting, but idk how this could stand in court. My natural response would be "prove it"

Reply

Name:
Content:


Other posts in this category