7 Machine
Home / BMW

Why is my 335d so fast? NYPD Highway Patrol =(

Coolieman12202010-08-18 09:15:12 +0000 #1
3 weeks of having my 335d, loving every second of driving it. Now the fun comes to an end =( I got pulled over by NYPD Highway Patrol Sunday night. Had my V1 up and it sounded for laser, I look up and see the Crown Vic on the side of the road, pependicular to the highway. I was in the right lane which was empty just movin along. As soon as i heard my laser and i saw him, i knew i was done for. Slammed on my brakes and saw him pull out with lights on. Knew it was for me so I just pulled right over. I was caught doing 70 in a 50. Had no clue i was doing 70 because well we're in a BMW but i may have been going faster because i was trying to pass a clump of traffic. He may have gotten me for more but cut me a break and put me at the top of tier II instead of tier III which is 6 points instead of 4. Or maybe since i hit my brakes right away the laser caught me at a lower speed? who knows. Anyways, attorneys here in NYC can't do much for you because in certian area's in NYS, you dont get to appear before a proper judge, you see some Administrative Law person who just lists you as guilty. I just got a guilty charge for a redlight which is 3 pts. Now this. No longer can i enjoy the full potential of my oil burner. I guess now i will have to enjoy the good mileage she retains. So far i'm seeing great numbers. Its still a lovely car, just have to watch my speed or maybe invest in some laser jammers?

Thanks for listening guys, misery loves company haha.

Have a good day!


Sal Collaziano2010-08-18 09:19:57 +0000 #2
I hear ya. This is why I usually prefer pure luxury cars.. With a car like the 335, I'm only REALLY enjoying what I bought it for when I'm breaking the law. It's ridiculous. Especially by me where the speed limits are insanely low (sometimes 45mph on a four lane highway). If I drive in a "spirited" fashion (being that the 335 handles nicely), I'm driving "aggressively". More breaking the law...

When I drive a full-size luxury sedan, I'm enjoying the amenities 100% of the time. It's comfortable as hell, quiet, technologically advanced, smooth, still powerful, etcetera. It's an entirely different experience..
garage queen 335is2010-08-18 09:36:48 +0000 #3
Yes, you need jammer. I got hit by laser 4 times. No ticket.
Coolieman12202010-08-18 10:26:12 +0000 #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by garage queen 335is

Yes, you need jammer. I got hit by laser 4 times. No ticket.

what jammer do you have?

It was funny, after he got me, he took off, parked up and got another car, another BMW as well. i think he was biased! What pisses me off is you pull over the car designed for speed. Going straight with no traffic and being relatively prudent, yet you have people in the left lane bunched up cutting in and out and using an HOV lane to overtake people. is that fair? i think those aggresive drivers deserve the tickets, not the easy guy cause you got a laser gun. ugh. pigs.
Vamshi2010-08-18 11:02:32 +0000 #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220

I just got a guilty charge for a redlight which is 3 pts.

So did you run a redlight?...
fisherbln2010-08-18 10:58:06 +0000 #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220

what jammer do you have?

It was funny, after he got me, he took off, parked up and got another car, another BMW as well. i think he was biased! What pisses me off is you pull over the car designed for speed. Going straight with no traffic and being relatively prudent, yet you have people in the left lane bunched up cutting in and out and using an HOV lane to overtake people. is that fair? i think those aggresive drivers deserve the tickets, not the easy guy cause you got a laser gun. ugh. pigs.

This is the problem with our current system. It is worth more money and easier to go after the people speeding. However, the drivers that are causing more danger on the road are the ones doing as you mentioned above (aggressive, following too closely, etc). In Germany the most common ticket given out is following too closely which has been proven to be much more likely to cause a deadly accident that speed.
vasillalov2010-08-18 12:17:59 +0000 #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by garage queen 335is

Yes, you need jammer. I got hit by laser 4 times. No ticket.

Jammers are illegal! Depending on the state it can be considered an obstruction of justice which is a felony and you go to jail!
tim8182010-08-18 10:28:26 +0000 #8
The car's so planted and stable (esp. w/ ZSP) on the highway, it gives you a false feeling that you thought you're going slow. Too bad OP had to find that out the hard way...

Tim
Couch2010-08-18 11:40:12 +0000 #9
If it was a straight open highway road, how did you not spot him well before your radar went off?
PJPHughes2010-08-18 10:11:35 +0000 #10
Don't forget that at 70mph, the engine is turning at about 1750 rpm, so the car is silent, so you don't feel the speed per se, and the slightest touch of the accelerator brings on that torque that we all love.

I always set the cruise control on longer trips...it's way too easy to get into trouble these days. A few months ago, I did a 40-120 blast (Valentine 1 on, of course!) getting on the 5 Freeway from Route 152 (coming from San Jose in to the Central Valley) and it is scary how fast this car accelerates...and with no drama. I was lucky...a mile ahead was a cruiser sitting there. I had slowed to 75 by then, thankfully. My heart was still pounding though.
SchlauCow2010-08-18 12:29:00 +0000 #11
Strict liability is a bitch.

I'm glad I drive on the Autobahn
TheRox2010-08-18 11:44:39 +0000 #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano

I hear ya. This is why I usually prefer pure luxury cars.. With a car like the 335, I'm only REALLY enjoying what I bought it for when I'm breaking the law. It's ridiculous. Especially by me where the speed limits are insanely low (sometimes 45mph on a four lane highway). If I drive in a "spirited" fashion (being that the 335 handles nicely), I'm driving "aggressively". More breaking the law...

When I drive a full-size luxury sedan, I'm enjoying the amenities 100% of the time. It's comfortable as hell, quiet, technologically advanced, smooth, still powerful, etcetera. It's an entirely different experience..

You raise a good point. Porsche panamera is the vest cross I've come across

iPhone typing

Reply

Name:
Content:


Other posts in this category