7 Machine
Home / BMW

Another clicking M3

farbarg2010-08-29 23:58:57 +0000 #1
After reading two posts on the "clicking" engine noises including

www.m3post.com/forum...9&highlight=clicking

I went see if I could produce this noise. While I couldn't get the noise in my garage (in neutral and raised rpm), I can reproduce this clicking noise in 2nd gear at 1100 to 1400 rpms. Over that I don't hear it anymore. But it sounds identical to that in the video and that it's coming from the engine bay.

Like a bunch of bolts pinging around a pan.

Click plank plik.

Boom! Panic! Ok, maybe not a boom. Still drives perfectly. Anyone else?
chicagobimmerboy2010-08-30 00:05:12 +0000 #2
Ive heard the sound. honestly it sounds like its coming from the rotating assembly; belt, pulleys etc. have your dealer check it out.
MDCTFTW2010-08-30 00:31:42 +0000 #3
Any video/sound clips?
bills7422010-08-30 01:17:17 +0000 #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCTFTW

Any video/sound clips?

I'm assuming farbarg's car sounds like mine:
farbarg2010-08-30 00:25:12 +0000 #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bills742

I'm assuming farbarg's car sounds like mine:

That's the one, thanks for posting.

As I said, while I can't get the noise in my garage, it's consistently reproducible at low RPMs in 2nd gear.

I've got business trips and such for the next week, but I'll try to get some kind of video when I get back.
MDCTFTW2010-08-30 00:53:33 +0000 #6
Ah ok. I've heard this noise too. I think I posted in bills thread about when I heard it.
farbarg2010-08-30 00:41:40 +0000 #7
Just thought I'd give some updates to the random clicking sound coming from the engine bay I've been hearing on my 6mt e90. First, I don't have a video, as I think the wind noise would make it impossible to hear. But I do have some more observations and would love to see if anyone else has this noise.

Basically, it's random clicking when driving btwn 1 to 1.5k RPM.

It only seems to happen when the engine is warm, in gear (have heard it in 1, 2, 3, and 4th), and under at least mild load (did not hear it going down a hill and engine breaking).

Unlike the other clicking sounds mentioned on this board (see prior posts on this thread), I still can't reproduce it in my garage, in neutral, revving to 1.3k (or so).
knifegun2010-08-30 03:03:20 +0000 #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCTFTW

Ah ok. I've heard this noise too. I think I posted in bills thread about when I heard it.

Okay. I heard this exact noise revving the engine between 1K and 2K after driving it for at least 15 minutes. Is this the same issue as the other member who had to have his engine changed? Or have most of you heard this believe it is normal?

BTW, this started happening after my 1200 mile service. I also now hear the tapping tuperware sound someone else reported.
MDCTFTW2010-08-30 01:11:57 +0000 #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by knifegun

I also now hear the tapping tuperware sound someone else reported.

Haha that was me. See if you can get a vid of that. I want to see if I can hear it from your clip.
knifegun2010-08-30 03:56:23 +0000 #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCTFTW

Haha that was me. See if you can get a vid of that. I want to see if I can hear it from your clip.

Here is the clip of my clicking sound. This happens after driving the car for about 15 minutes and revving the engine between 1 and 2K. It is a little hard to hear but you hear most of it at the beginning and little at the end. It was more pronouced earlier when I went for a 1 hour drive. Let me know what you think. Maybe I am just paranoid.
bills7422010-08-30 03:29:32 +0000 #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by knifegun

Here is the clip of my clicking sound. This happens after driving the car for about 15 minutes and revving the engine between 1 and 2K. It is a little hard to hear but you hear most of it at the beginning and little at the end. It was more pronouced earlier when I went for a 1 hour drive. Let me know what you think. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Sounds exactly like my car.
M3Kevin2010-08-30 04:21:48 +0000 #12
Is this engine a pushrod engine?

Reply

Name:
Content:


Other posts in this category